On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 08:25:38 -0500, John Voigt wrote:

>On 10/03/2002 02:42 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 19:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

>>>You might take a look at qmail.  Its been rock solid here for several
>>>months now.....
>>

>> My MTA is exim. www.exim.org
>>
>> I think is also comes down to what the e-mail MTA should / should not do.
>>
>> Spam filtering? Aggressive relay control? Mailing lists? IMAP? Virus
>> detection?
>>
>> Some MTAs are better/easier to set up with these things than others.
>
>Hi all,
>
>If I understand the original question correctly, the question is to
>replace GroupWise which is somewhat similar to M$ Exchange, as opposed
>to just an MTA. It has the mail, calendar, scheduler and other [perhaps
>useless] fluff. You might look at:
>
>http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/
>
>which was HP OpenMail in a former life. There is another similar product
>available from:
>
>http://www.bynari.com
>
>which claims to to this sort of thing as well. Neither of these,
>unfortunately, are OSS, and are rather expensive. They do run on Linux
>though.

On the comercial side, you also have SuSE Mail server (not the one that
uses Lotus Notes), and Caldera...oops! SCO Volution Msg Server. They
are very similar to Bynari product. IIRC, the last time I checked SCO
VMS was the cheapest and has a few goodies like OutLook auto
configuration (great for admins).

If you want to go the open source way, you can use Postfix + Courier
IMAP + OpenLDAP + Horde/IMP/Turba (that's pretty much what everybody
else is using to build their "mail server software"). There's even a
small article in horde.org describing howto build a large hotmail like
system using these (good reading even not exactly what you need).

For the shared calendar, I think you can use Apache+WebDAV. But I
haven't investigated...

Bye!!
Federico Voges
Socio gerente

Intrasoft
Malabia 2137 14 A
(1425) Buenos Aires
Argentina

Te/Fax: 54-11-4833-5182
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.intrasoft.com.ar

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: A536 4595 EB6F D197  FBC1 5C3A 145C 2516