On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:07:33 +0200 Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On 07 Oct 2002 10:01:41 +0100
> Bob Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 10:10, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > > I have a partition with user accounts and all my stuff, whihc is
> > > not in any OS partition. I typically make a partition for the OS
> > > itself, putting the whole OS in the one partition. Selecting the
> > > partition gets me the OS. Caldera, as an example, lets me put
> > > the partitions how I want. I was just wondering to what extent
> > > Gentoo allows this as well.
> >
> > You can do this, but the reason Gentoo advocates a separate boot
> > partition is security, as the default in its fstab is to not mount
> > /boot automatically.  Also, you then can use the same /boot
> > partition if you were to have Gentoo + another distribution,
> > saving a bit of space.
>
> Space saving would be ok. But as so much tends to be different in
> the distro beyond the boot stuff, I am not sure I would realize a
> savings. Of course, with a distro like gentoo, maybe package
> locations and all are more'standard'.
>
> Do you know if there is any doc somewhere that I may have missed
> that describes putting everything in one partition? Maybe it is less
> involved than I think. Time to experiment.

There really isn't any space saving when you are talking about a /boot
partition, because this is so tiny as to be immaterial.  I'm not aware
of any documentation related to putting everything in one partition,
since this is just a matter of not creating a /boot partition and
removing the /boot partition line from /etc/fstab.

Since I have been to lazy to create a kernel compile script to do the
mount automatically and since I can never remember to mount /boot when
it's needed, I eliminate /boot as soon as possible.  YMMV.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD? - Code Python
gentoo(since 01/01/01) now 1.4beta kernel 2.4.18+ ext3 GCC3.2