Greets all.  Apologies to all for long message.

What is the next step to trouble shoot a frozen
keyboard and mouse when running a Xserver?

Do I modify in the Xserver by hand, or is there
another service I must deactivate, or do I modify
a init script to correct this?

I tried using xf86config, but RH no longer
follows the XFREE86 project standard configuration
file system.  The scripts there fail miserably, and
are broken.

So I'm a little stuck. Here's my tale thus far;

Installation:

Downloaded RH8.0, confirmed MD5 checksum for all
iso's.  Burned the 5 iso's.

A simple installation with RH 8.0 without problems,
all hardware detected, recommended programs installed.

Performed a custom install, asked for KDE and Gnome
( that I can tell ) and whatever else is available on
the iso's.

Asked ext2 partitions all around,  /tmp /var /home /boot,
generous sized swap file and / directory.

GUI:

Problem: the X server locks up the mouse and keyboard
 on GUI activation.  From CLI, type in

]$ startx

Immediately Keyboard and Mouse dies. I can see GUI,
with all the icons, tabs, buttons, clock, mouse cursor,
but there my experience with RH 8.0 stops.

Tapping CAPSLOCK on keyboard DOES NOT work, keyboard
is completely dead.  Lamp indicators stop to function,
including NUM-LOCK, SCROLL-LOCK.

Only way to get out of frozen GUI screen is to perform
power down. Literally

As long as I remain using the CLI, everything works
okay.  However, I would like to try out the GUI.

Novice conclusion:
To me, my problem looks like the X server configuration.

However, just to be sure, I asked on alt.linux.redhat
about this, and someone mentioned there
that the power management on RH 8.0 was to blame.

So I though maybe turning off power management
would help. Tried to turn off using 'ntsysv',
but this configuration tool fails to turn 'apmd' off.

Attempting to use 'redhat-configure-services'
fails with return line calls from CLI with...

Traceback ( most recent call last ):
  File "/usr/share/redhat-configure-services/serviceconf.py",
         line 24, in ? import gtk

  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhpl/__init__.py",
         line 19, in ? # dummy __init__ so that things work

  RuntimeError: could not open display

'Gtk-Warning **: cannot open display:'

---

Obviously, the new 'redhat-config-'s' are using GUI.

Tried 'redhat-config-xfree86' again same lock up, or if
it doesn't lock up, I get the screen, the prompt for the
display size, pixel width, fonts,

..but then the keyboard and mouse don't work, and I'm
rebooting again.

Gave up, moved the start to kill in both rc3 and rc5 from
CLI instead.

I've waited over 10 minutes in some cases, just
if there was a server/network issue, but problem
continues to persists.

Again, power down is only way to escape from this frozen
GUI screen.

Thus far:

Attempt re-installation, same problem every time.

I have another computer, and am using it here.

I know my test computer was working, since I was just using
it to compile GNU GCC 2.95.3 just the other week, and
running COL WS 3.1.1 without a hitch.

Thanks muchly

---tm---