On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, David Aikema wrote:
> I've currently got Windows 98 SE (on a 10 gig drive) installed alongside SuSE
> 7.3 Pro (on an 8.4 gig drive) using a motherboard about 2 1/2 years old.  If
> I were to replace these two drives with a single 60 gig+ drive should I
> expect to encounter any problems?

Other than something with the mobo you should be fine in Linux.

> I seem to recall that Windows 98 has problems seeing all of a larger drive,
> but IIRC linux can get around any bios restrictions.  If the motherboard
> and/or windows were to only see part of the drive, but I were to be able to
> access all of it with linux, would it prove to be a problem to install
> windows on the first section of the drive (which it can see) and then install
> linux on the remaining portion of the drive, or would that end up getting
> detected as partition table corruption?  Also, don't some hard drives ship
> with tools that run at boottime before firing up windows that will enable
> windows to see the full capacity of the drive... could I run that alongside
> lilo?

With windoze all bets are off.  It might eat the entire drive and not know
it.  As for tools such as EZBIOS, you either use them, or you use LILO,
you can't put both in the MBR.  Linux doesn't need EZBIOS.  WIth windoze,
who knows.

Why not keep the 10GB drive for windoze, and install the 60GB for LInux?