I just installed the ftp version of Suse 8.1, amazingly easy, albeit a little time consuming. I happen to *like* YaST2 (but, heck, I liked Caldera, so you can't go by me). Fonts aren't *nearly* as good out of the box as RH 8, but KDE seems to work *loads* better (no surprise there, I guess). But I digress...

I ran the Online Update part of YaST2 (which I assume is YOU) to get any updates, and there were quite a few (package updates like KDE 3.0.4 along with any security updates -- I like that). It was interesting, though, that several packages listed as updates were versions *older* than those installed (didn't write them down, though...). They were clearly displayed in red so as to distinguish them, but I find it odd that Suse would provide "updated" packages that were older than the installed packages. Is this normal?
I installed Suse on the same test box at work where I installed RH8, and I think this looks like a keeper. At least from my first impressions. I've gotta work out fonts and get OpenOffice installed, but it seems like a much better install process than RH8 (I had a devil of a time working out routing on RH8, and it was painfully simple with Suse). And, as I said, I find YaST2 much easier to work with than RH8's installer/package manager (at least so far...)

Regards, Tim