On Wednesday 27 November 2002 08:37, Robert Hemus wrote:
- My Mom went to school in Escanaba in the 20's.  It got so cold there then
- people garaged their cars.  Little different technology then.  She talked
- about walking to school in -20 degrees or more.  I'm a native So
 Californian - living right next to Oregon.
- Bob

I lived in Norman Wells NWT (the mid-arctic) for ten years (1975-1985) I
thought that being that far north would be a very cold experience, but I was
wrong. The constant cold during the winter months results in a total lack of
moisture in the air thus the transfer of body heat through your clothes is
that much less. I found that anything warmer than a -27 degrees Celcius was a
jacket and sweater day but once it hit the minus 30's it was definately time
for the arctic wear (parkah, insulated boots etc) Right after Christmas we
would get a very very cold two to three weeks but then it would settle down
to a balmy -20 something. My wife and I would go camping in mid  to late
January (snow-mobile) along the Canol pipeline (used during WWII running from
Norman Wells to Car Cross Yukon) Once we got into the mountaisn, we found
that we had over-dressed for the trip. Never in all the times camping out in
the arctic mountains were we ever cold. Yet I can remember freezing my but
off in Vancouver B.C.  when I was going to high school there. That dang
dampness, how do you dress for that?

--
Ted Ozolins (VE7TVO)
Westbank, B. C.