Hate to reply to my own post, but no one else has...

I have sorted out the problem. I configured the X server with X -configure.
It seemed to work. My display is a PnP one so it could read the model
number. Oddly, it choose a very high resolution (1920x1024 - or something
like that). It then decided that the screen resolution was 152x152 dpi. So,
when choosing even the biggest font, it appeared very small. I then took an
X config file that I use in another OS, and the fonts are more what I
expect. The resolution is 1120xsomething, which is better on a 15" display.

The odd thing was that the X config file created by X did not have any
resolution lines. Not even one. I would have expected it to not work, or to
come up in 640x480. Not the very high resolution.

As to gnome, I get an error on startup about fonts not found. It sends me to
a bug discussion that says to upgrade to X 4.2, as there is a problem in
earlier render libs. Well, I am running X 4.2.1 (from gentoo's emerge), and
the error persists.

Anyone running gnome on gentoo 1.4 rc1 ??