Keith,
I feel for your plight down under.  Out in the American West, its been
quite bad over the past few years as well, although not nearly as bad as
you described below. Here in the SF Bay area we've had only one rainfall
since late April.  While it is usually dry here between May & November
(summer up here), its not normally this dry.