The logging industry has only an indirect connection to the fire
problems in the US. The extent that the commercial forest industry is
involved is that they view fire supression as saving harvestable timber
from destruction(in a selfish way, because they consider all public
timber ~theirs~). The real fire problem in this country is the result
of, as stated before, idiots building where they really have no
business living in the first place. This leads to tax based population
needing protection from nature as well as what the population considers
"their" natural resources that must be protected. This is not new but
an escalating problem that has rapidly accelerated in the last 50 years
as fire fighting and spotting has gotten better. Slowly the realization
is getting through that a "let burn" policy is best for everyone.
Nature takes care of itself just fine if allowed to operate unimpeded.

Not that the above has much to do with the problems in AU right now.

It should be obvious to most people that nature can absorb a lot of
our mistakes but when nature is stressed, it's those mistakes
that decide the severity of the "natural disaster" that befalls us.

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:18:16 -0500 - Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the
following
Re: Re: <OT> Re: Big problems in Oz