I've been told that a problem arises when you put a CD and HD on the same
IDE bus.  It seems that the CD uses 16 bit data transfer, and limits the bus
to that.  Even though the (newer) HDs use 32 bit they are limited by having
the CD on the same bus.

Leon A. Goldstein <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed thusly on Thursday,
December 05, 2002 7:05 PM:

> Ronnie Gauthier wrote:
>
>> I know lots of the problems with IDE burning is the CD and HD being on
>> the same ribbon, as well as in direct CD2CD with the CDburner and
>> CDreader on the same ribbon.
>>

> That is the problem with IDE burners.  For on-the-fly burning at high
> speed the CDROM and CD-RW must be on separate IDE channels.
> If slaving a CD-RW to a hard drive is not acceptable, then the CDROM
> should be slaved to the CD-RW.
> If you look at computers on sale in the various emporia, the CD-RW is
> the "boot" or master CDROM.
> In theory, Burn-Proof allows on-the-fly burning with the CDROM as
> master, and the CD-RW as slave, on the secondary IDE channel.
>
> As pointed out previously, SCSI burners avoid this IDE channel
> congestion.

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon