I have been getting this craving for some Mech2 (heck, I'd probably even
buy the MSMech4-Mercs if it worked).  Does anyone know how to make this
puppy work under Linux?  Or do I have to use a Grub option not seen in
many months?

Any of the Mech series is appreciated.  I've seen Mech4Mercs running on a
buddy's machine and was quite impressed.  I bought Heavy-Gear back before
I knew Linux existed and found it to be trash by comparison.  The Mech
engine has always impressed me.  Activision did a great job and even
Microsoft's Mech4 looks pretty decent.

I used CodeWeavers and got it to install in a very pretty fashion.  But
when I try to run the game I've tried several things and run into
troubles.  The latest (I skipped the "Splash" screen and moved right into
the game) trouble is that it is telling me that I need to have my monitor
at 256-colors or greater.  I'm running 16 bit color in X, so I'm guessing
this is some setting in Wine or a problem with Wine.  I'm running an
NVidia Riva card (Diamond Viper 330-AGP) but for the sake of getting it
working at all, I chose software-3D this time around.  If I can get it to
work, then I'll try the OpenGL stuff.  Or perhaps I should tackle the
OpenGL stuff first?  Might OpenGL require LESS of Wine rather than More?

Thanks in advance,
Matt