On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:32:31 -0500 (EST)
begin  Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Andrew Mathews wrote:
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I got me a shiny new PC last week.  I am in process of backing up
> > > the data off my old pc to get it ready for the new.
> > >
> > > I was going to install Linux w/ ext3 filesystem on the new pc, the
> > > old one has ext2.  Can I restore to the new if it is ext3?  Or to I
> > > have to install it as ext2, restore my backups, then convert to
> > > ext3?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >

> > You'll have to convert it to XFS first, at which time you'll decide to
> > keep it that way. ;)
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Seriously, you should have no problems copying your files from ext2 to
> > ext3 as 3 is simply 2 with a journal. What distro are you planning on
> > using?
>
> Also matters how the data is backed up.  But if you're going to go
> through the time in restoring from backup to a new box, you might as
> well do it on a reliable filesystem, namely, XFS.

Well, I just went through my first major XFS problem.  Let me just say XFS
performed beautifully.  If it were ext2, I'd have been rebuilding the
system.

Seems some morons from the power company decided to replace main lines in
a building without telling anyone.  Well, the resulting spikes fried a
monitor and scrambled the Linux system.  It wouldn't boot (lots of errors
about not being able to run /sbin/getty, etc.).

Booted into Knoppix and tried to mount the partition -- it froze.
Rebooted, ran xfs_check.  What a mess, but it fixed a lot of stuff.
Mounted the partition (the journal played and restored things just fine).
umounted the partition and ran xfs_repair.  Lots more fixing.  Rebooted
and things seem to be even better than before (if that's possible).

XFS came through with flying colors.  Not sure any others (and definitely
not ext2) would have.

BTW, all the above took less than 5 minutes including booting into Knoppix
twice.  The partition was 6Gb.  That's fast.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
- --
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto