On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, David A. Bandel wrote:
> Well, I just went through my first major XFS problem.  Let me just say XFS
> performed beautifully.  If it were ext2, I'd have been rebuilding the
> system.
>
> Seems some morons from the power company decided to replace main lines in
> a building without telling anyone.  Well, the resulting spikes fried a
> monitor and scrambled the Linux system.  It wouldn't boot (lots of errors
> about not being able to run /sbin/getty, etc.).
>
> Booted into Knoppix and tried to mount the partition -- it froze.
> Rebooted, ran xfs_check.  What a mess, but it fixed a lot of stuff.
> Mounted the partition (the journal played and restored things just fine).
> umounted the partition and ran xfs_repair.  Lots more fixing.  Rebooted
> and things seem to be even better than before (if that's possible).
>
> XFS came through with flying colors.  Not sure any others (and definitely
> not ext2) would have.
>
> BTW, all the above took less than 5 minutes including booting into Knoppix
> twice.  The partition was 6Gb.  That's fast.

I'm actually kinda surprised that you had to go through that much trouble.
Whenever i've done 'sudden power loss' simulations with my XFS boxes,
they've come back up without any manual intervention.  Was this
box under a heavy load at the time of the outage?  Which kernel and
version of XFS are you running?