Well, after perusing the web, it looks like this camera is a little dicey
on this kernel, so I took the easy way out and got a CF card reader. But
I can't quite get that going either...

I plug it in and see, in /var/log/messages,

Dec 26 11:22:25 earthman kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned
device number 9

but I don't know how to mount it as a filesystem. It also bothers me that
the device number keeps incrementing each time I attach a usb device. Is
there something I need to do to more cleanly detach the devices?

Here's some more info...

# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-R/RW 12X8X32 ' '9.AB' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

Also the /proc/bus/usb/device and driver files look okay.