> 0.5 Gbytes RAM, 1 Gbyte swap (1 Ghz Athlon)
>
> this is my "beyond the pale" system. It ain't got Windows, and it ain't got Intel
>inside. 8-)
>
> Watching the system load, it doesn't even approach running out of swap.

This is a printing system / print filter issue. According to Turboprint, what is the
max resolution that it supports? Are any special libs or programs needed to make it
work? Are there special considerations to made (like changes to printer configuration
or filter scripts) regarding printer or printing configuration files?

The answer to your problem is gonna turn up in one of the above questions.

Best

Peck