I can't offer much advice about cups.  BTW, I gave up using CUPS when
I had permissions problem with it. Who needs those things? lprng works
fine. Why bother with the latest and greatest if the tried and true
works fine? I still use ipchains.

I don't use gimp printer drivers either. lexmark supplies a nice
configuration and testing tool with its drivers.

Basically, I just use a basic lprng setup, with the lexmark supplied filter
specified in printcap.

This is my printcap. It isn't pretty but it works.

ps|z53:\
        sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/z53:mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh
        :mc#1
        :sh:

Photo:\
        sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/z53Photo:mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53Photo.sh
        :mc#1
        :sh:

lp|LP|z53-outfiles:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sh:rw:

ps|z53 filters jobs.
Photo filters jobs, but I edited the filter to use a configuration file
which prints hi quality images to photo paper. If you dissect the print
filter, it is easy to do.
lp is to dump the print image right to the printer. This is required for
printing test pages, since they do not need to be formatted or filtered. As

I dimly recall, z53-outfiles is the magic name here for the configuration
program to use.  I THINK you have to have this queue available to print
test pages. If you install the lexmark drivers on your windows clients,
you would send those jobs here, too.

As I said, you just send postscript jobs to ps, and all works well. Windows
clients do fine if you choose the HP laserjet III+ driver.

POC (Piece of cake).

Joel