from Collins:

" I've been using the CD writer drive that came with my HP pc for a
" couple of years to write CD-R disks with no problems.  It's a TEAC unit

[...]

" Now I'm trying to use the few CD-RW disks (TDK 4x to 10x capable) which
" came with the computer, and I'm getting errors.  'cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0

[...]

" Does anyone have a clue?

Waaaay back when I was trying to use cr-rw because at that time there
was a buck to be saved, I had disk failures often enough that I never
came to think of the process as something I could rely on.

I did a bit of literature review, tho none of my own direct research.
The consensus of what I found was that the phase change of the alloy
used in the rewriteable blanks wasn't entirely reliable or stable.
You can imagine the pleasure which might result from spontaneous
phase reversion.:-)

The synthesis was to the effect that one should use rewriteables only
for data that they wanted to lose and that the game of trying to
protect against that inevitable data loss wasn't worth the candle.

I never did find a credible contrary opinion.

http://www.quen.net

"Fix reason firmly in her seat and call to her tribunal every fact,
every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God;
because, if there is one, he must more approve of the homage of
reason, than that of blindfolded fear."  --Thomas Jefferson