On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:45:37AM +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 10:32:53 -0800
>Bill Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 10:17:24AM -0700, Collins wrote:
>> >Anyone familiar with linux/fireware/adapters etc.?
>> >
>> >I'm looking to attach my JVC DVL805 camcorder to my linux box.
>> >Obviously I will need to add a firewire adapter to the box and software.
>>
>> I'm using an Adaptec unit (downstairs so I can't see the model).
>>
>> When I was in CompUSA last week, I saw some adapters that have both USB 2
>> and FireWare on the same PCI card.
>
>USB2 is about 5-10% faster than firewire. In practice, they are roughly the
>same in thruput. I am just waiting for the 800 mbit version of firewire. If
>it is still on. I am guessing that USB2 will kill the current firewire.
>Unless the proposed double speed version ever makes it to product.

I'm still a bit leery of USB-anything.  FireWire has been around and well
supported by Apple for quite a while so I suspect it's a bit more robust.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

``We believe...that a mugger will kill you in the half-second it takes to
draw from the holster, but won't harm you while you dial the police on your
cell phone, talk to the dispatcher and wait half an hour for officers to
arrive.'' -- Gun-Control Net-work Credo