On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:40:03 -0700
begin  Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> [ snips ]
>
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:42:26 -0500
> "David A. Bandel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:57:00 +1000
> > begin  Keith Antoine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> > First a little theory so you understand what's going on.
> >
> > Basically there are three networking devices: gateways, routers, and
> > bridges.  These are systems that normally have multiple interfaces.
> >
> > For our (very limited) purposes, gateways and routers are the same
> > (please don't flame, I know better, but I want to talk about bridges)
>
> Very clear presentation.  Now dummies like me who don't deal with
> communications protocols very often would like to know - why would you
> use a bridge as opposed to a gateway/router?

Some very general examples (which I happen to have in practice)

Often, you'll find that you have systems you want on the same network that
are spread out over a large area.  Wireless is one of the best examples of
this, where you may have 10-30 clients hitting each access point, but you
don't want the nightmare of routing, or you want the systems to do load
balancing so you don't have 50 on one AP and 5 on another (this function
is also performed by STP, the spanning tree protocol).  DSL is another
example.  I don't route to the DSL modems because I'd burn up twice the
IPs and need 3 C blocks where one works now.

Because of the way they work, routers have to have valid IPs on each
subnet to route.  But true bridges don't.  So my DSL clients have a public
IP, but all my modems have a private IP (it's for administration only).
In fact, the modems all have the same private IP.  But it's not visible
except to the system directly connected if it's on the same private subnet
(which they're not).

In Keith's case he can go either way because he's using private IPs and
NAT on the internal systems.  But if his ISP lets him have 5 public IPs
for his use and he decides to put them to work directly (rather than via
DNAT under iptables, which has some protocol limitations), under his
scenario, only bridging will allow him to use them all.  Breaking a /29
block (where he has 5 usable IPs for 3 interfaces) into two /30 blocks
(each w/ 2 usable IPs, 3 for his use on 5 interfaces, but only two, not
the three needed subnets) nets him nothing. (How did I go from 3
interfaces to 5? Remember a bridge combines two or more interfaces into
one, in a case like this you'd have the three interfaces on his one box
act as one bridge interface, and the other two systems each have one
interface).

Did this answer the question?

David A. Bandel
- --