Just my 2 cents worth...

I haven't used VMware, but I believe it will do what you want.

I will say that I have never had a good experience with remotely using graphic
intensive programs. The refresh rate has always been to slow, but I would like to know
other peoples experiences.

Windows Terminal Server is not available on a Windows 2000 workstation. You need to
buy a server for that capability and then there are the licenses required to use
Terminal Server. Windows XP comes with remote desktop and you could use that on a
Windows XP Pro Workstation. As I type this I can't remember if this would restrict
users to one at a time or not. There are other remote access solutions such as
Pcanywhere and Vnc, but they also only allow one remote user at a time.

Windows workstations also have a maximium of 10 concurrent connections at a time. (I
don't know if this is an issue for you or not).

The setup described in your message will have to be a very powerful machine to run a
program such as Photoshop along with 2 O/S 's and VMWare.

Here is my suggestion.

- In your lab, install Linux with terminal server or some other remote x solution for
people to use the Linux programs on. (That is if your camera likes Linux.)

- Install Samba and allow the hospital Intranet to connect to the share that contains
the photos. This will work very well and you do not need a Windows box to see or be
seen on Windows network.

- allow people to manipulate the files using Photoshop locally on their machines. The
performance will be 100 times better. (I don't think remote access to use Photoshop
will work that well for you.)

I hope I have understood your question correctly.

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager, Digital Media

416-744-7191