Feigning erudition, Tim Wunder wrote:

[...]

% Um, no. I *am* trying to run the working script via a cron job, as my
% normal user. But it don't work. I've configured sudo so that it doesn't
% ask for a password when my user tries to run 'sudo checkinstall'. When I
% put that in my script and execute it from the command line, checkinstall
% runs and I don't need to enter my password. When the script is executed
% as a cron job, sudo asks for a password, which never comes, so the
% script fails.

So, you're using "authenticate NOPASSWD" flag or some such?

Can you run invoked sudo with the -l option? See the discussion of
"listpw" in the sudoers(5) man page. See also the -v option.

Kurt
--
Art is either plagiarism or revolution.
                -- Paul Gauguin