Feigning erudition, Zoki wrote:
% Le 19/02/2003 23:12, ??Kurt Wall?? <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a ?crit?:
%
% <snip>
%
%
% > % *** Did anybody notice any performance issues between Samba and ext3
% > % compared to Samba and ext2?
%
% *** Well no, I'm not concerned directly but there was some talk in my
% clients company about this and there were equal parties saying yes there are
% issues and no there're not.

I'm not aware of any performance issues vis-a-vis Samba and ext3 or any
other filesystem. I keep track of these matters because of the work I do.

% I was merely interested if somebody has been doing tests or read about it
% and could share this info with me. Except for an article I saw on Internet
% saying NFS and ext3 is a no go I didn't hear anything about Samba and ext3
% personally.

Well, NFS and ext3 play together just fine - I do this at work constantly.
In fact, we have diskless boards that mount ext3 root filesystems over
NFS. We also have diskless boards that mount JFFS2 root filesystems over
NFS. Both methods work just fine.

The few times I've accessed Windows shares over Samba and mounted them
on ext3 filesystems, again, I've had no trouble and haven't encountered
unusual performance problems.

% I was just interested in your feedback.

If you want to perform some benchmarks, I'd recommend the Bonnie benchmark
suite: http://www.textuality.com/bonnie/

Kurt
--
Going to church does not make a person religious, nor does going to
school make a person educated, any more than going to a garage makes a