On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 07:26:26PM -0500, Brian Witowski wrote:
>I recently began having problems transferring large files to my COL 2.4.18
>kernel and Samba 2.22.
>
>I first noticed the problem when a large email attachment got hung in the
>queue.  I tried to flush it but it was locked for sending.  (I use my server
>as a mail relay for my network, along with fetchmail and procmail).  When I
>tried to flush it, I would temporarily lose network access to my server.  No
>Samba, SSH, or Webmin.  Then it would start working again.
>
>Later on I was attempting to copy a 45MB file to the server and I lost all
>connectivity.  Once the copy errored out and I canceled the copy, the
>network came back.  The only errors I have found were on the console of the
>server:

This sounds much more like a network related problem, not hard disk.  I
regularly copy ISO CD images between Linux and Apple OS X systems with a
hitch.  Large e-mail attachments can easily cause problems, and are often
restricted by the MTA since ftp's for e-mail, and e-mail is for, well
e-mail not file transfers.

Windows isn't noted for stable TCP stacks (even though I think they got a
good bit of the code directly from BSD).  I would suspect that the problem
lies on the Windows side rather than on Linux.

Bill

``The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins.''
   -- H.L. Mencken, 1923