I recently began having problems transferring large files to my COL 2.4.18
kernel and Samba 2.22.

I first noticed the problem when a large email attachment got hung in the
queue.  I tried to flush it but it was locked for sending.  (I use my server
as a mail relay for my network, along with fetchmail and procmail).  When I
tried to flush it, I would temporarily lose network access to my server.  No
Samba, SSH, or Webmin.  Then it would start working again.

Later on I was attempting to copy a 45MB file to the server and I lost all
connectivity.  Once the copy errored out and I canceled the copy, the
network came back.  The only errors I have found were on the console of the
server:

hda: irq timeout : Status=0xD0 {Busy}
IDE0: reset: success

In addition I saw this once:

ll_rw_block: device 03:03: only 512-char blocks implemented (1152).

Suspecting a hard drive problem, I changed to runlevel 1, then dismounted
the partitions and did an e2fsck -c on them.   It found and fixed a few
problems, which I suspected it would since it had been hard booted a couple
times in the last year due to power failures etc.

Also, I ran some low-level hardware diagnostics on the hard drives and they
came up clean.

Any ideas what may be causing this issue?  The logs are clean.

Brian
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Witowski;Brian