> Why not boot your home system with Knoppix, and see what happens?  That
> would be a very easy way to determine if the problem at home is hardware
> or software based.

I did this. With knoppix on my computer, the camera is detected automatically
and all works well and very fast.

SO, I really did mess up my machine when I tried to update glibc so I could
compile a newer version of an old program, probably kwintv or somesuch.

So, as soon as my $200 walmart lindows computer shows up, I'll be upgrading
this thing. That should take no more than a couple of days. I have been
dreading this for a long time.

Joel