Could this be at all related to OHCI vs UHCI?
This is an area I'm still a bit unclear about and could use some correction.

Thanks,
Matt
(still working on my own digital camera crap.  I think GPhoto hosed the driver
for my camera, since it works under COL with gphoto 0.4.x and not with the
gPhoto2's new structure)