On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 18:46:38 -0800
Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> >Support Slackware or gentoo.
> >

> any particular reason for these choices?
> (I like libranet/debian)

Nothing wrong with that.  I also forgot to mention LFS.  Going over my preferences
usually turns into flame bait, but here goes (in no particular order):

1. I've always preferred the path least trodden, if it's not too painful.
2. I don't really like RPM.  I don't really understand debpkg stuff.
3. I don't like to search for software packages (especially RPMs, since they usually
don't work without tweaking on whatever distro I happen to be running).
4. I don't like to pay for the big commercial distros, since I can get what I need
free of charge.  Caldera OpenLinux was the last distro I paid for.
5. I don't really understand Debian (I did create a disk based distro from Knoppix,
but I couldn't figure it out and didn't want to spend the time.  Sheer laziness on my
part.)  Also, I have to grit my teeth everytime I encounter GNU-Linux.  Bah humbug.
6. Even Slackware is a little more difficult to understand, but I would rather support
one of the old stand-bys than GNU-Linux.
7. Gentoo has the best general availability of packages that I can install with
minimal effort (hm? is there a pattern here?)
8. LFS is good, too, but there's the matter of needing to put a fair amount of work
into maintaining and locating packages.  Yep, the pattern is holding true.

and finally

9. There is no perfect distro.  Whatever floats your boat.

--
Collins