On Tuesday 25 March 2003 04:52 pm, Net Llama! wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Robert E. Raymond wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll admit i've never played with 2.5.x.  I've heard/read that it uses
> > > a different kernel configuration mechanism (not xconfig/menuconfig??).
> > > is this the case?  if so, could you elaborate on how building a kernel
> > > differes with 2.5.x?  maybe a short SxS for folks who are experienced
> > > building 2.4.x kernels?
> >
> > I'll consider that but I can just highlight the differences here:
> >
> > Menuconfig and xconfig are still present in 2.5.x.  Menuconfig really
> > hasn't changed much.  A few menus, such as the input device section have
> > been changed somewhat, mainly to add more options.  Xconfig is *very*
> > different, and I guess I could take a look at it (I've been using
> > menuconfig only for who knows how long).  Should be pretty easy for
> > anyone to figure out, tho it does seem to have a qt dependence now.
>
> Qt dependency??  eeek.  what kind of crack was Linus smoking when he
> blessed that change?  good ole tk/tcl always worked well, especially on
> leaner systems.  *sigh*

Ah, not quite true.. From the configs' 'Shared Makefile:

# conf:   Used for defconfig, oldconfig and related targets
# mconf:  Used for the mconfig target.
#         Utilizes the lxdialog package
# qconf:  Used for the xconfig target
#         Based on QT which needs to be installed to compile it
# gconf:  Used for the gconfig target
#         Based on GTK which needs to be installed to compile it

So maybe no tcl/tk anymore.  Menuconfig's plenty good enough tho.

> > As of maybe around 2.5.6x, make dep is no longer needed, and the
> > instructions say to 'make bzImage' after you get done saving your config.
> >  I tend to run 'make modules' anyway, and this builds most of the
> > compiled in stuff anyway, tho make bzImage still needs to be run.
>
> err...'make modules' or 'make dep'?0

I no longer run make dep.  The output after menuconfig is:

*** End of Linux kernel configuration.
*** Check the top-level Makefile for additional configuration.
*** Next, you may run 'make bzImage', 'make bzdisk', or 'make install'.

I tend to run make modules out of habit.  Entering 'make dep' gives me
***Warning: make dep is unnecessary now.

> > Also you get to replace modutils with module-init-tools.  It will keep
> > your old modutils for easy swapping between 2.4.x and 2.5.x kernels.. I
> > think it renames the files to *.old or something.  I've not bothered
> > saving them because 2.4.x doesn't like my highpoint 374 for some reason.
>
> so module-init-tools is backwards compatible with 2.4.x kernel builds, or
> does this basically require you to keep both modutils & module-init-tools
> on the system if you wish to build both 2.4.x & 2.5.x kernels?

You have to have both, as modutils appears to be a dependency for
module-init-tools, however module-init-tools has the extra functionality that
2.5.48 kernels and above need.

> > Is that enough, or should I go ahead and write an SxS?
>
> personally, i'd still like a real SxS, if you don't mind, and have the
> time.  thanks!

Will do.

                                Bob Raymond

--
Linux EPoX.Linux.Raymond 2.5.65-ac3 #3 Mon Mar 24 00:13:31 UTC 2003 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux