does this release, from sco, look to anyone else like one huge
backoff?

"SCO owns the contract rights to the UNIX® operating system. SCO has
the contractual right to prevent improper donations of UNIX code,
methods or concepts into Linux by any UNIX vendor.

"Copyrights and patents are protection against strangers. Contracts
are what you use against parties you have relationships with. From a
legal standpoint, contracts end up being far stronger than anything
you could do with copyrights.

"SCO's lawsuit against IBM does not involve patents or copyrights.
SCO's complaint specifically alleges breach of contract, and SCO
intends to protect and enforce all of the contracts that the company
has with more than 6,000 licensees.

"We formed SCOsource in January 2003 to enforce our UNIX rights and we
intend to aggressively continue in this successful path of
operation."

that's the statement in its entirety.

--
dep

http://www.linuxandmain.com -- outside the box, barely within
the envelope, and no animated paperclip anywhere.