Well, just have to mention one problem I encountered, to help others
avoid it. I said that the installation program seemed to read all my
old configuration stuff and put it into the new configuration directory.
Fine.

But, the instructions said to start up with apachectl, which I did.
Everything seemed to work fine until I tried to log in from work. My
password protection scheme with cgi scripts stopped working. I got all
kinds of errors, permissions denied, odd prefixes added onto the path of
my scripts, etc. Nothing I did seemed to help much. I finally discovered
there was an old version of apachectl lying around my system, God only
knows from where, since I wasn't using it to start apache before.  It was
pointing to some non-existent or old configuration file.  I removed it,
now, all it fine.

Geez. A lot of aggravation over a newbie mistake. Blush.

Joel