On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:44:34 -0400
Kurt Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> An unnamed Administration source, Raymond Russell, wrote:
> > On 6/1/03 20:41, "Joel Hammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > > All these ip's are comcast.net. Comcast has gone entirely with
> > > dhcp now, at least in my area. I thought that was supposed to help
> > > prevent this sort of thing. Anyway, it is still a jungle out
> > > there.  Good.
> > >
> > > Joel
> > >

> > > On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 06:01:42PM -0400, Joel Hammer wrote:
> >

> > Some of those worms blast the the same sub net that they are on.
> > With so many Comcast users machines being infected it seems this
> > traffic will never stop.  I get constant port 80 hits 24/7, you
> > would think that by now this would have been taken care of.
> >
> > I have Comcast also and my area has been DHCP since Comcast took
> > over and my IP has never changed.
>
> Same here. I've had the same IP for months, even after long periods
> (several hours) of downtime due to connection problems at Comcast's
> (ne้ AT&T Broadband) end.

Don't have a clue about the IP address.  My cable modem (originally
AT&T, now transitioning to Comcast, is on a Netgear router which
handles the DHCP stuff, so I never see the IP address.  I could query
the router from a browser, but my curiosity only extends so far.

In the 3 years I've been online, I've never actually experienced an
outage, except that they would occasionally/rarely take down the mail
server for 15 minutes at the time.  Even after a local 4-5 hour power
outage, the modem resynched without needing to be touched.  Talk about a
worry free operation!  I have the modem and router on top of my computer
cabinet back against a wall, so I never even see the blinking lights!

My only complaint is that Comcast decided to ding everybody $10 unless
you subscribe to TV cable. <groan>

Thinking again, actually I had a couple of days outage way back when
AT&T had to scramble to maintain service when @HOME dropped out from
under them.  Forced switching an ISP provider network with little
advance notice is a tough act for any vendor to pull off.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
gentoo stable - ext3