I bought a 1979 (?) Chevy Chevette based on its recommendation by Consumer Reports.
Imagine my chagrin when ten years later CR had that same car on its list of
used cars to avoid, and went out of the way to use the Chevette as an
example of a badly made car. My sophisticated friends who were then reading
Consumer Reports looked down their noses at me alright.  CR never
mentioned later on that they use to recommend that car.

So, I have never fully trusted them since that time. I mean, the
humiliation and all. (I owned two. I actually liked them.)

Joel