Just so eveyone knows what they'll be missing by not using lindows. Here
is the latest blurb about lindows 4.0 from the CEO. If this is true,
and with Debian upgrading has been painless so far, then this might
actually be useful. I'll know by next Wedneday, I guess.

If my Zire palmpilot works after the upgrade, I'll be impressed.

Note the claim for plug_and_play support.

Joel

Michael's Minute: Microsoft Is Right (Until Next Tuesday)

Next Tuesday, when we release version 4.0 of LindowsOS, desktop Linux
takes a giant leap forward and in so doing, overcomes Microsoft's biggest
remaining criticism of desktop Linux. One of our ongoing initiatives
at Lindows.com is an operating system with "zero maintenance." The
concept is a simple one - we want to remove the hassles of managing
your computer. Computers should be more like other electronic appliances
(think DVD, radio, toaster). They shouldn't require learning a whole new
language or  taking hours to set up and maintain. While we haven't fully
realized our zero maintenance initiative (there's still a tiny bit of
effort that the user has to apply), as of next Tuesday, Linux becomes
easier to manage than Microsoft Windows for personal computers.

Here are a few capabilities in LindowsOS 4.0 - many of which are firsts
for either Microsoft Windows or Linux or both.

One click configuration
I was able to install copies of all of the software programs from my
old computer onto my new computer. This saved me hours in finding CDs,
running installation programs, and typing in registration data. Similarly,
new employees of Lindows.com get their computers set up with a custom
suite of programs in just a single click.

One click operating system install
Lindows.com is the first company to offer major operating system upgrades
with just a single mouse click. LindowsOS 3.0 users will be able to
upgrade to the significantly improved version 4.0 with a single click
-- which is the first time that computer users have been able to do
major operating system upgrades, completely digital, with just a single
mouse action.

One click software install
Installing software can be a time consuming task that works differently
for each program, but with LindowsOS 4.0, a user can install software
with just a single click -- whether you're installing a commercial office
suite or a free game. We've worked hard to perfect the system and we now
see success rates in the high 90's -- even for users over slower modems.

One click upgrading
Keeping software up to date has always been a laborious task, but not
with LindowsOS 4.0. LindowsOS keeps track of the software installed on
your computer and permits you to update any of the software programs with
the same one click ease as when the original program was installed. A
graphical user interface shows which programs have available updates
and lets you select which ones you wish to upgrade.

Plug-N-Play Support
The launch of LindowsOS 4.0 means that for the first time, desktop Linux
can plug-n-play a wide range of devices, including printers, memory cards,
hard drives, CD-RWs, digital cameras, and even firewire devices.

Most of these innovations are embracing the concept of complete digital
delivery, which is fast and cost effective -- an area where LindowsOS
is leading the way. Conventional wisdom says that "Linux is harder to
use" and some analysts are now parroting this blindly. Next Tuesday,
we'll release LindowsOS 4.0 and with it will be a new era when Linux is
easier to use and lower in cost to maintain than any other software. I'll
explain how you can be one of the first to get it next week.

-- Michael