I was just pointed to this document at sgi. It was the result of a search for
the optimum filesystem for linux. The document makes a nice read, points
out the pro's and con's of some of the more popular journaling fs's...

The highlight for me are the included performance graphs and they quite nicely
backup what I've been spouting... EXT2 and EXT3 ain't that bad.

Cheers.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/papers/filesystem-perf-tm.pdf