On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:24:52PM -0400, dep wrote:
>quoth Bill Campbell:
>
>| I've always that the directors and officers of any public company
>| are guilty of malfeasance if they entrust sensitive data to
>| Windows.  What would happen if bankers left the vault and doors
>| unlocked?
>
>they would be held accountable, or should be -- but that should in no
>way diminish the culpability of those who wander in and steal the
>money.

True enough, but the deep pockets will be the directors and officers.

Hackers aren't the only thing that cause serious economic loss.  The lost
productivity waiting for Windows systems to reboot, even if there's no data
loss,  I did some rough calculations after reading an article that said
United Parcel Service had about 160,000 Windows machines (bragging of
course :-).  Assuming that each machine had only one unscheduled reboot a
day with no data loss, the cost for lost time per year was well over
$10,000,000 USD (closer to 20M).

Bill

``Democracy Is Mob Rule with Income Taxes''