I ran ttmkfdir and sent the output to fonts.dir.  I just hope fonts.dir
is where it is supposed to go.
There was no fonts.scale file created by ttmkfdir. Is this bad?

After making the adjustments in the fonttastic configuration file, the font
server started up OK and I restarted the X server.
The font server gave no errors when it started up, either.

However, I haven't a clue how to integrate these new fonts into KDE,
or my browsers (which is the point of the exercise).

Any insight appreciated,

Joel