On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 09:19:33 -0400
Joel Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK. I will try the ttmkfdir first.
> Now, if I run ttmkfdir -h, I get this as output:
>
> This Program is (C) Joerg Pommnitz, 1998
> Usage: ttmkfdir [-d dir] [-o filename] [-f foundry] [-m #]
>    -d scan directory dir for TrueType files (def. is current
>    directory)-o write output to file named filename (def. stdout)
>    -f use foundry for unknown font vendors (def. misc)
>    -m max # of missing characters per encoding (def. 5)
>    -c use less strict completeness tests for encoding tables
>    -p use panose information
>
> The output of ttmkfdir is a bunch of font specifications:
> arialn.ttf -monotype-Arial
> Narrow-medium-r-condensed--0-0-0-0-p-0-koi8-ru How am I supposed to
> use this output? Doesn't there have to be a fontmap so the fonts can
> be found by a program?
>
> What is panose information?
>
> Thanks,
> Joel
>

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:04:00PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:33:19 -0400
> > Joel Hammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I want to install some truetype fonts.
> > >
> > > I have XFree86 Version 4.0.1 I have an old version of KDE. Version
> > > 2 or something. This version of KDE came with Caldera 2.4. I
> > > cannot tell
> > >  for
> > > sure because the about KDE menu doesn't give the version.
> > >
> > > I have some true type fonts already installed, I think, made
> > > available through fontfs.  But, these fonts don't seem to include
> > > anything useful, like ariel.
> > >
> > > I have a bunch of fonts from a windows installation I want to use.
> > > Is there a way to just convert these to a form that I can
> > > reference with fontfs?
> > >

> > I don't know enough about the older systems and fontfs, but
> > basically all you need to do is:
> >
> > 1. copy all the fonts to a directory
> > 2. run ttmkfdir in that directory
> > 3. update your XF86Config
> > 4. do whatever black magic with fontfs???
> > 5. On newer software, you need to run fc-cache
> > 6. Restart your Xserver
> > 7. Update any other apps that need special handling.
> >
> > If you don't have a Windows distro handy, you can follow the
> > instructions at the following site to get the core tt fonts from M$
> > (supposedly this is legal).  The instructions are extremely RH
> > centric, but a little tinkering will make this work for any distro.
> >
> >  http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

According to the reference in a previous posting, namely

http://support.sco.com/rn_cgi/install.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=NT6vtWMg&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_prod_lvl1=%7Eany%7E&p_prod_lvl2=%7Eany%7E&p_cat_lvl1=%7Eany%7E&p_search_text=truetype&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=3&p_sort_by=dflt

You need to issue the following pair of commands

ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
mkfontdir

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the