Bruce Marshall wrote:

Supposing there is a device I just invented called a Belchfire 90 mob-ulator... and I write a module for it. How could the kernel possibly use my module? It wouldn't know when to call it... Same thing goes for a new USB device that hasn't been defined to the USB modules.

If the ALSA modules can be compiled and supplied out of the blue... then either they don't rely on the kernel or the kernel has been told about them.

Telling the kernel about foreign modules, isn't that the job of the "alias" lines in modules.conf?
There I have:
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
alias char-major-195 nvidia
among many others, the right-hand side always pointing to a file in
/lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/
Klaus