On Monday 21 July 2003 08:02 am, Net Llama! wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Tony Alfrey wrote:
> > I see that more and more stuff will require gcc 3.3 and I've been
> > running gcc 2.95.2.  So can someone tell me what potential problems
> > I might have if I install 3.3.  Specifically
>
> I just wrote a gcc-3.3 SxS.

I just started to read this after I posted.

> > a)  will 3.3 prevent me from now making small changes in my 2.4.4
> > kernel previously compiled with 2.95.2?
>
> Looks like Redhat has built a 2.4.21 kernel with gcc-3.3.  Now I
> don't know what you mean by a 'small change'.  I'd say that its not a
> good idea to build new kernel modules with one compiler, and the
> kernel with another, regardless of the versions of gcc.

I don't build with modules, I just use the 'everything but the kitchen
sink' approach, and recompile the whole thing and back up the old one.
I might want to make just one change in the config file.

<snip>

> > c)  Is there some clever way that I might switch between 2.95.2 and
> > 3.3? gcc at the command line presumably knows only my most recent
> > compiler.
>
> See my SxS.  There are a few different tricks, but i've found setting
> the CC env var to the location of the gcc that you wish to use to be
> the best solution.

It is not clear to me what switches put gcc3 into usr/local/bin (or is
that the default?).  Right now my gcc is in usr/bin.

> > General suggestions about switching would be appreciated.
>
> I've not run into any gcc specific problems since upgrading.  Now
> going to glibc-2.3.x is another story altogether (mucho headaches).

I've heard this is not pleasant.  Why would I need to do this?
Thanks!

--
Tony Alfrey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]