On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:12:47 -0700
"Net Llama!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 07/26/03 20:06, Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > On 26 Jul 2003 19:18:26 -0500
> > Tom Jandl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > My failure to read carefully enough.  If you install gentoo from
> > Stage 1, you don't need Stage 2 or Stage 3.  Stage 2/3 are
> > alternative install packages that save you some compiles.
>
> Hrmmm.  THat's not what the documentation on gentoo's website
> suggests.  My reading of their dox indicate that stage 1 compiles the
> basic tools of the OS (glibc, binutils, gcc, and a few others)  from
> source, and stage 2 then compiles just about everything else.  Am i
> missing something obvious here?

Here's the relevent section from the install guide

Now, let us quickly review the install process. First, we will download,
burn and boot a LiveCD. After getting a root prompt, we will create
partitions, create our filesystems, and extract either a stage1, stage2
or stage3 tarball. If we are using a stage1 or stage2 tarball, we will
take the appropriate steps to get our system to stage3. Once our system
is at stage3, we can configure it (customize configuration files,
install a boot loader, etc) and boot it and have a fully-functional
Gentoo Linux system.

Depending on what stage of the build process you're
starting from, here is what is required for installation:

stage tarball   requirements for installation
1                         partition/filesystem setup, emerge sync,
                           bootstrap, emerge system, emerge kernel
                           sources, final configuration
2                        partition/filesystem setup, emerge sync, emerge
                          system, emerge kernel sources, final
                          configuration
3                        partition/filesystem setup, emerge sync, final
                          configuration

As you can see, the activities are different to get to the same point.
Starting from  stage 1, you have to go through all the activities.
Starting from stage 2 you omit the bootstrap process.  Starting from
stage 3, you have a runnable system immediately with the standard
optimizations from the tarball you selected.

Back to Tom's point earlier, emerge sync, emerge -p system.  If anything
shows up needing upgrade, emerge system.  Continue with the process.  As
I said earlier, if the error is in the update info section of emerge, it
will most likely disappear later.  Portage is a work in progress, so
there will be glitches from time to time.

Watch closely for errors.  It is also possible that some package that
was presumed to be stable really didn't have enough testing to prove its
stability in all situations.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area if
you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the worries of