Just starting to experiment with samba to reach files that are on my
wife's WinXP machine accross the room.  Works OK  for file access using
the sample smb.conf file provided by gentoo (only modified to add my
workgroup), except for the nitpick described below.

When I mount a directory with

mount -t smbfs //ipaddress/Collins /mnt/samba

I get a couple of informative messages that I haven't supplied a
user/password.  Prompt for passwd follows.  I just hit enter, and all is
cool.

Is there any way to cause the mount not to prompt for a passwd?  Hint, I
have no defined users and do not log in to the WinXP box.

Flames anticipated, security, etc., etc., but this is only on my
internal net behind the router.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the