On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:04:51 -0600
Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:59:41 -0600
> Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:16:18 -0500
> > Michael Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > If you put the appropriate line in /etc/fstab with password=,user=
> > > then you can just do 'mount /mnt/samba'. (Or it may have to be
> > > user=guest).
> > >

> > Thanks.  It works with user=guest.
> >

> OK, now to dig a little deeper.  The set of directories (it varies)
> that I'm wanting to access "appear" to have no common high level
> directory(they are anchored on the WinXP desktop), so I need to do a
> separate mount for each. Short of putting a big list in fstab, is
> there any way to get a given directory mounted for general use upon
> demand, either by command or by root command and make the permissions
> such that normal users can manipulate it?

After further experimentation

This works as root (no passwd prompt, no errors of any sort)

mount -t smbfs -o guest //name/Collins /mnt/smb-collins

But it does not work from normal user relying on fstab entry

//name/Collins /mnt/smb-collins     smbfs \
noauto,user,guest  0 0

I get

mount //name/Collins
cannot mount on /mnt/smb-collins: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1

Any ideas?

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the