On 08/09/03 14:10, Alma J Wetzker wrote:
My personal interest is distributed applications, so a virtual machine running a database would be good. But we don't have the disk space to make it worthwhile. I hope to use more than one configuration before we are done.

Well, there are alot of different types of databases out there, some with excellent clustering support, some without. Oracle & DB2 have pretty decent distributed processing support. The amount of diskspace isn't really an issue unless you plan to start dumping large chunks of data into the DB. Otherwise, a database will remain as small as you want it to.

Most of my paid work has been Oracle where I end up using triggers and stuff to accomplish what I need to get done. I am trying to figure out MySQL right now and perhaps PostgreSQL next year. Most of my test data is quite large as I need to test MANY configurations and options.

I've used mysql, postgresql & oracle, but only oracle in a cluster. Oracle's documentation is prolly your best bet in getting that going. I'm not sure if its easily possible to setup mysql or postgresql in a distributed environment.