Quoth Kevin O'Gorman:

> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Kurt Wall wrote:
>
> > Quoth Kevin O'Gorman:
> > > I don't know what I did the last time I went to adjust my machine's
> > > clock, but it seems Linux no longer talks nice to the hardware clock.
> > > Every time I boot, the clock is off by 7 hours, and for my setup
> > > thats usually once a day (no fault of Linux, I just have to shut this
> > > off at night).
> >
> > Kevin,
> >
> > Did you ever get this straightened out?
> >
> > Kurt
> >

> Sort of, but it's a hack.
>
> I found that the /var/log/messages stuff started having two different
> timestamps starting partway through the boot.  That was really odd.
>
> Details: my RTC is set to local time because I occasionally boot to
> Windoze.  Timestamps were all okay up to where /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog
> gets run and tries to do the right thing with the clock, but from
> then on, the kernel reported times 7 hours off, presumably through
> klogd.  Meanwhile other things continued to report the correct time,
> presumably through syslogd.  All claimed to be PDT times.
>
> My hack was to put the line
>         /sbin/hwclock -s --localtime            # Local hack

This sets the system time from the hardware clock. If you were
tinkering with KDE's clock setting function, undo it. I've no
idea _how_ to undo it, of course. Here at KurtWerks, I just point
ntpd at some public stratum 2 time servers and let ntp do the
grunt work. Then again, none of my machines ever boot Windows,
so I can set my hardware clock to UTC without worry that Windows
will helpfully reset it.

> in /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog as the first line of the start() function.
> I don't understand how, but that fixed it.  What's really odd is
> that as I read things, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit should have already
> executed exactly that command.

Odd.

Kurt
--
Yield to Temptation ... it may not pass your way again.
                -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"