On Sun, Aug 31, 2003, Gerry Doris wrote:
>I have received several emails infected with Sobig.F supposedly from
>the list as well a pile of notices from various list members that they
>received infected messages.

Most of the e-mail worms that attack the Microsoft virus, Windows forge the
headers so they appear to some somebody other than the real sender.

I'm getting a fairly large number of virus notices from brain-dead virus
scanners addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (not the capitilzation) saying
that I sent them a virus.  The only place my e-mail address appears
capitalized like that is in the signature block of my e-mails or perhaps in
some rather ancient usenet news postings (at least 10 years old).  I don't
do e-mail on any Windows machines, and never have.  The only times I've
ever run OutLook has been to go through the menus to figure out how to
specify server addresses, and once to see how Caldera's Volution Messaging
System's one-click configuration worked.

My guess is that the volume of mail messages from the so-called virus
scanning software to the forged sender addresses probably is greater than
the volume of actual worms.

Bill

``I don't make jokes, I just watch the Government and report the facts...''
    Will Rogers