Quoth Klaus-Peter Schrage:
> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> >Here in America, many states have what they call a Lotto.  What happens
> >is you go to a local convenience store and purchase a Lotto ticket for a
> >US $1 a ticket.  They usually have 6 numbers on them from 1 to 40 or
> >so.  Then once a week they draw numbers out of a contraption that has a
> >bunch of numbered ping pong balls in it and you hope that the six you
> >picked (or had randomly generated) on your ticket are the same six that
> >pop up out of the ball machine.  Is so you win the jackpot of generally
> >some tens to hundreds of millions of dollars.
> >
> >Most people don't win.  Thus you have to pretty lucky if you do.
> >
> The chances of winning aren't that bad: 1:3838380

Mm, my statistics is a little rusty, but wouldn't the chances be rather
worse? Order matters, so we want permutations, not combinations. So,

40_P_6 = 40!/(40 - 6)! = 40!/34! = 2,763,633,000
40_C_6 = 40!/(6! * (40 - 6)!) = 40!/(6! * 34!) = 3,838,380

Kurt
--
Experience is the worst teacher.  It always gives the test first and
the instruction afterward.