On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 13:44:50 +1000
James McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
>
> >Glad you like it!  Check out alt.os.linux.gentoo if you haven't
> >already.
> >

> >Alan Jackson wrote:
> >

> >>Well I got the Gentoo CD and did the install over Labor Day.
> >Amazingly>smooth. The bootable CD detected all my hardware, found my
> >ISP, just>perfect. Better and easier than my Caldera 3.1.1 install.
> >Really.>But oh my God it was slow! I recompiled KDE and that took 20
> >hours>on a 1 Ghz AMD machine. Open office took about 12 hours.
> >>
> Is the open office compile using an ebuild or is it in tar.gz format I
>
> have wanted to compile it for a while but keep getting trouble with
> it... (that was months ago though)
>
> ditto re the taking time but 20 hrs for kde seems a long time is that
> including a slow download time aswell?

I don't know about the tarballs direct from OO, but the OO source ebuild
has been flaky for some time.  Sometimes it will compile; sometimes it
won't.  I've just settled on using the -bin version.

KDE compiles are also flaky from time to time.  It might be interesting
to find a suitable rpm distribution, then use rpm2targz and convert to
an ebuild.  When I get a round 2it <grin>.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the