On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:57:52 -0500
Alan Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well I got the Gentoo CD and did the install over Labor Day. Amazingly
> smooth. The bootable CD detected all my hardware, found my ISP, just
> perfect. Better and easier than my Caldera 3.1.1 install. Really.
> But oh my God it was slow! I recompiled KDE and that took 20 hours
> on a 1 Ghz AMD machine. Open office took about 12 hours.

Welcome aboard.  Those times are about average for a 1GHz machine.  In
the case of OpenOffice and even Mozilla, I always use the -bin
distros, and they are speedy enough.  I do have KDE and GNOME emerged,
although I don't use them much, but I don't jump on the bandwagon
immediately when a new version comes out.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the