On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Tim Wunder wrote:

> Just the obvious question:
> Are you connecting to the sound card with a stereo plug?
>
> A stereo plug will have two obvious contact areas on it (they'll look
> like black stripes) for the left and right channels.
> Just becasue you have a Y-cable that connect 2 wires into 1 doesn't mean
> the output from the 1 connector will be stereo.

Hmmm... I'm not using any Y cable. The cable connects the line-out of a walkman cd
player to the line-in of the sound card. I know I can get stereo out of the cable when
I connect the headphones to it.
I also can get stereo out of the card (into the headphones, or into the
columns+subwoofer, from another output jack) when playing a .wav file out of the HD.
What I can't get is stereo from the line-in, nor any sound at all from the (internal)
cdrom drives (a CDRW and a DVD drive); I don't know whether these two issues are
related.
Thanks for any help.
--
Jorge Almeida