On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:05:37 -0500
Alan Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:50:07 -0600
> Collins Richey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:02:09 -0500
> > Alan Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I installed Gentoo a week ago, and it has mostly been quite
> > > smooth.
> > >
> > > However.... some, but not all, of my modules missed getting
> > > compiled. In particular, usb/printer doesn't seem to want to
> > > compile. I ran make modules_install
> > > and it didn't help. I get no errors, I just don't get a
> > > printer.o file created. Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > This is making it hard for me to print!
> > >

> > Never heard of this.  Which of the many kernel offerings on gentoo
> > are you using?  Have you tried with the plain vanilla kernel?  You
> > mentioned make modules_install.  Did you do make modules first?
>
> I got the gentoo CD and followed the directions for a stage 3 install
> with a vanilla kernel. Nothing fancy. Going through make config I see
> that, curiously, the default for usb printers is "no". I'm pretty sure
> the standard install never gave me an opportunity to tell it to
> compile that module. Or maybe I just missed it.

It's a long story.  Basically, the gentoo distro presumes a lot of
knowledge on your part, most especially with respect to building a
kernel.  Perhaps they will offer pre-built kernels some day.

Once you've gone through the procedure of building a kernel once or
twice, you'll get the picture.

Just keep asking questions.  Building a kernel is a learned activity;
none of us were born with that knowledge.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the